This is a sneak preview -- you are seeing this page because you need to possibly
approve this content and get back to us. Have a great day!
Born in England, Nigel Holmes studied illustration at the Royal College of Art in London and then freelanced for magazines and newspapers for 12 years in London before going to New York in 1977 to work for Time Magazine. He became graphics director and stayed there for 16 years. He has written eight books on aspects of information design. The latest is Instant Expert, a sequel to The Book of Everything. (He knows that both titles are not to be taken too literally.) With his son Rowland, Holmes makes short animated films. Clients have included the TED conference, Fortune Magazine conferences, Good Magazine and the National Geographic Society.
In this conversation, Nigel discusses his keynote at the upcoming Presentation Summit 2015 series.
Geetesh: Nigel, you are doing a keynote this year at the Presentation Summit called Lighten Up, Will Ya??: The role of humor in presentations. Can you tell us more about this session, and what takeaways can the audience expect?
Nigel: I've always believed that if you can make people smile when you are trying to explain something, you are halfway to helping them understand exactly what it is you are trying to explain. And that's because if your listeners are in a good mood, they are much more receptive. But it's not enough to tell a funny joke at the start of a presentation, and then drone on about leveraging a new vertically integrated paradigm by empowering scalable best practice ecosystems (oh, please drop corporate jargon!). However, I'm not advocating that you aspire to be a standup comedian; in this presentation I'll be extending the idea of "humor" to include its old-fashioned meaning: being in a good humor...with good feelings and emotions.
Most of my work has been explaining difficult concepts, whether medical, or scientific (or just complicated, in any field), and also helping people put large numbers into an understandable context. During the presentation I'll play music, include some examples of bad design, and show ways to include audience participation: to get you out of your chairs (and possibly your comfort zones).
This 2,500-year-old quote from Confucius sums it up pretty well:
"Tell me and I will forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I will understand."

For many years now, Rick Altman has been hosting the Presentation Summit, a highly popular event that is geared towards users of PowerPoint and other presentation platforms.
Date: September 27 to 30, 2015
Location: Astor Crowne Plaza, New Orleans, USA
Twitter Hashtag: Presum15
Microsoft and the Office logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.